The Israeli Orthopedic Association (IOA) was established in the year of 1984 by a group of Israeli orthopedic surgeons to provide education and practice management services for orthopedic surgeons in Israel. The association also serves as an advocate for improved patient care and informs the public about the science of orthopedics.
The orthopedist's scope of practice includes disorders of the body's bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons. Members of the association have completed accredited residency in orthopedics. Members must pass a comprehensive oral and written examination. Lately orthopedics residents can be affiliated members of the association.
The organization was founded under the support of the Israeli Medical Association, the home of all professional Associations in Israel.
IOA is now the home for almost 700 orthopedic surgeons and the assembling of 9 different societies:
• The society of pediatric orthopedic surgery
• The society of foot and ankle surgery
• The society of shoulder and elbow surgery
• The society of orthopedic trauma surgery
• The society of orthopedic surgical oncology
• The society of knee and hip surgery
• The society of knee and arthroscopic surgery
• The society of community orthopedics
• The society of spinal surgery